Sunday, September 18, 2016

A Weekend of Races

This weekend was busy for me, so strap in; this will be a longer post.

On Saturday I ran The Great Pumpkin Run.  This is a fun, light-hearted 5K to help bring in the fall season.  The cool part about this course is that it is on a farm and part of the race is through a corn maze.  Don't worry, they clearly mark the path so you don't get lost.  Another little quirk for this race is that you can choose to sign up for the Tough Pumpkin Challenge.  This challenge allows runners to run the 5K while carrying a pumpkin.  If you finish with the pumpkin intact, you get to keep the pumpkin and you get a second medal.  Every finisher gets a small pumpkin to take home, so if you succeed at the Tough Pumpkin Challenge, you get two pumpkins and two medals.
The pumpkin I chose to run with was 12.25 pounds.  I chose it because I figured I wouldn't have to buy a pumpkin to carve if I got one that was big enough.  It was more difficult than I anticipated, but I still had fun.  After the race I got to pet a horse and a goat, so that was fun, too.

On Sunday I ran the Fox Valley Half Marathon.  This was a nice race.  I'm used to running in the city, so to be able to run through a wooded and hilly area was a nice change of pace.  I ended up finishing this race in 1:51.55 and I was 5th in my age group, so that was pretty exciting.  This race had a lot of friendly faces.  I ended up seeing three people that I knew there, which is always fun, but the fellow runners were really friendly during this race, too.  I had a few conversations with fellow runners about our running experiences and plans.  At the end of the race, there were freeze pops and I was a huge fan of that!

I walked away from this weekend with 3 new medals, 2 pumpkins, 2 new running shirts, a cool headband, and a PR.  I would consider it a success.

These are two pictures from this weekend.  One is of my pumpkins and medals from the 5K and the other is me, post-race on Sunday.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment